Infant & Baby
Sudden Infant Death Syndrome & Shaken Baby Syndrome Training
Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) / Shaken Baby Syndrome (SBS) training is required every 5 years and the training must be at least 1 hour in length. Licensed child foster care providers that care for infants or children through 5 years of age and their staff persons and caregivers assist in the care of infants or children through 5 years of age, must receive training on reducing the risk of sudden infant death syndrome and shaken baby syndrome.
Access free SIDS training and Shaken Baby Syndrome training. You will need to register and then go to search for training:
- For SIDS enter "Sudden Infant Death Syndrome"
- For Shaken Baby Syndrome Training enter "Abusive Head Trauma"
Sleeping Infant Syndrome Training
Keeping Babies Safe, the American Academy of Pediatrics and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission partnered to bring you a national education campaign on sleep safety entitled "Safe Sleep (Environments) for Babies." Watch the full length (12.5 minutes) video.
Shaken Baby Syndrome Training
Most of the time, Shaken Baby Syndrome occurs when adults, frustrated and angry with children, shake them violently. If you are a parent, or ever care for a baby, it is important to know the dangers of shaking. You also need to tell everyone who cares for your baby, which it is never okay to shake the baby.
View SBS videos without taking the SBS "In-Service" course for credit. View all 3 of our Shaken Baby (SBS) videos without having to participate in our online SBS course. Viewing the videos is free. Minnesota legislation requires Minnesota caregivers to view the Department of Health's approved resources.
View the Portrait of Promise: Preventing Shaken Baby Syndrome. This is an online presentation that can be viewed and the PowerPoint information can be printed off as well.
Record SBS Training Time
- Go to the National Center on Shaken Baby Syndrome.
- Find the tab at the top of the site that is titled, All About SBS / AHT.
- Read about Shaken Baby Syndrome by clicking on several subtopics. Keep track of the time you spend on the site and record this on your training sheet.
Free Online SIDS & SBS Training If you go to SIDS “Training Kit” and scroll down, you can get the following brochures:
- A Child Care Provider's Guide to Safe Sleep
- A Parents' Guide to Safe Sleep and Tummy Time
- Reducing the Risk of SIDS in Child Care Speaker's Kit
- The Reducing the Risk of SIDS in Child Care Speaker's Kit is a tool that can be used by healthcare professionals, public health educators, child care providers, or just about anyone to educate their community about sudden infant death syndrome in child care.
- Print out your own copy of the PowerPoint presentation and speaker's notes for this kit. Download is free and copies may be made for educational purposes.
- Choose the pdf format including speaker's notes. Note reading this must include reading the speakers notes, found in pdf format, not just the PowerPoint slides. 1 hour of training is approved for this training.
View one of the approved Shaken Baby Videos, it is just over 9 minutes long, it's title isn't so clear, but it is simply called "Shaken Baby Syndrome - Educational DVD," by the Minnesota Hospital Association. It says this at the very end. Please don't forget to document who watched this - name of video - date.