Satisfaction of Judgments

Once a judgment is paid, whether in installments or a lump sum, a judgment creditor (the person who won the case) must acknowledge that the judgment has been paid by filing a Satisfaction of Judgment form with the court clerk. Doing this makes it clear that the person who lost the case has met the obligation.

The Satisfaction of Judgment form should be signed by the judgment creditor when the judgment is paid, and then filed with the court clerk.

If either party needs to get a copy of a Satisfaction of Judgment form, the court clerk will provide a certified copy of a filed Acknowledgement of Satisfaction of Judgment form. This form proves that the judgment was paid.

Sometimes judgment debtors forget to get the judgment creditor to sign the Satisfaction of Judgment form when they pay a judgment, only to find that they can't locate the judgment creditor later. If this happens and you need the form to clean up your credit record or for some other reason, you can get it if you present the court clerk with proof the judgment was paid. The following will help:
  • A canceled check or money order written subsequent to the date of the judgment by you, the judgment debtor, for the full amount of the judgment, or a cash receipt for the full amount of the judgment signed by the judgment creditor after the date the court awarded judgment.
  • A statement signed by you under penalty of perjury stating all of the following: 
  1. The judgment creditor has been paid the full amount of the judgment and costs.
  2. The judgment creditor has been asked to file an Acknowledgement of Satisfaction of Judgment form and refuses to do so or can't be located.
  3. The document attached constitutes evidence of the judgment creditor's receipt of the payment.
The following information is required to process your Conciliation Court Satisfaction of Judgment. 
  1. Enter the full title of the case.
  2. Enter the case number.
  3. Choose the appropriate section of the form. (Partial or Full Satisfaction)
  4. The creditor or creditor's attorney must sign the form before a notary public or a county conciliation court clerk.
  5. Mail the Satisfaction of Judgment and your check payable to the District Court in the sum of $5.00 to Court Administration.
Satisfaction of Judgment Form

Was this page helpful for you? Yes No