• Creditor: The party who won the case and was awarded a judgment by the court.
  • Debtor: The party who lost the case and was ordered by the court to pay the other party.
  • Entry or Entered: The term used with a judgment when it is filed by the Court Administrator. This usually triggers the time frame during which a judgment can be appealed.
  • Docketed: The term used with a judgment when the winning party in a case files an Affidavit of Identification form with the court. This starts the process the judgment creditor uses to try to collect payment of the judgment.
A judgment can be enforced for ten years from the date it was entered. It can also be "renewed" if not satisfied (paid) within the ten years. To enforce a judgment that was not paid during the ten year time frame, you have to start a new lawsuit before the end of the ten year period, based on a claim for failure to pay a judgment. 

Paying the judgment

The parties can make an agreement about paying the judgment, including making payments to the creditor over a period of time. 

Once the judgment is paid in full, or is paid to the creditor's satisfaction, the next step is to notify the court that the judgment has been paid. To do this, the creditor completes a Satisfaction of Judgment form (see section titled Satisfaction of Judgments.

Was this page helpful for you? Yes No