Child Support Collection

Minnesota's child support program helps parents establish a financial partnership so children receive the financial, medical, and child care support they deserve.

There are two levels of services available.
  1. Full services include help establishing parentage, getting an order for support, enforcing an existing order, collecting payments and more.
  2. Income withholding-only services are generally limited to processing support payments and keeping track of what is owed.

You do not need to apply for services if the other parent lives away from your home and you or your child receive public assistance including:
  • Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP)
  • Diversionary Work Program (DWP)
  • Tribal TANF
  • Medical Assistance (MA)
  • Foster care
  • Child care assistance

Your county financial worker will automatically refer your case for full child support services.

Once a parent has applied for child support services, all payments must go through the Minnesota Child Support Payment Center, regardless of which county managed the child support case.

Receiving Payment

In most cases, the Child Support Payment Center sends the support collected to the parent it's owed to within two days.

Parents will receive support payments by direct deposit into a checking, savings, or stored value card account.

Making Payments

Most payments paid on cases come from employers through income withholding. Income withholding is the process that funds are automatically withheld from a parent's paycheck or other sources of income.

Some parents may pay their support by check, cashier's check, or money order. Parents must identify their payments to ensure that they get credit for them and the payments are applied to the correct case. Parents should include their name on the payment, and at least one number, such as the child support case number, the participant (MCI) number, or their social security number.

Do not send cash. Do not send payments to the other parent directly. Make checks payable to: Minnesota Child Support Payment Center. 

Send payments to:
Minnesota Child Support Payment Center
P.O. Box 64326
St. Paul, MN 55164-0326

Missed Payments

An obligor must report a change in income or job to the Child Support Office within ten days. Unless the obligor gets a new court order modifying the existing child support order, the payments will build up and the obligor may be subject to penalties or garnishments. Such consequences include: garnishments from unemployment checks, intercepted tax refunds, liens on real property, loss of license, and numerous others.

If the obligee suspects that the obligor is underemployed or is hiding some sources of income, the obligee can file for a modification of the child support based on potential income rather than actual income.

Otter Tail County Child Support Services

Was this page helpful for you? Yes No