Oil /Oil Filters

Used oil includes petroleum-based or synthetic-based oils which have been used as lubricants, hydraulic fluids, heat transfer fluids, or for similar uses. Used oil and related wastes that are improperly managed may release toxic contaminants or heavy metals into the environment. For more information visit the MPCA guide to “Used Oil and Related Wastes”

Used Motor Oil
• Oil Filters: (Automobile & Small Engine filters ONLY maximum of 4 per household at the Otter Tail County Household Hazardous Waste Facility )
• Battery Acid
• Brake Fluid
• Carburetor Cleaner
• Car Wax / Polish
• Degreasers
• Gasoline
• Leather Cleaners
• Transmission Fluid

Storage: According to the MPCA you may accumulate any amount of used oil and related wastes on your site for an indefinite time as long as you store them properly.
• Accumulate used oil and related wastes only in leak-proof containers or tanks. Containers must be able to fully contain their contents, even if the container is overturned.
• Used oil filters may be punctured and crushed on site provided the used oil is recovered. Crushed used oil filters may be recycled as scrap metal; however, you must ensure no used oil is spilled from the crushed filters at your site or in transit.

Disposal: It is illegal to put motor oil or oil filters in the trash. Do not mix auto fluids with oil or other solvents. Local sites to properly dispose of used oil, oil filters and antifreeze are located throughout the county. Three transfer stations in Otter Tail County have oil recycling stations.
Fergus Falls Transfer Station: 275 Airport Dr. 218-998-8920
Henning Transfer Station: 51122 Rocky Ridge Rd. 218-583-2129
Pelican Rapids Transfer Station: 1101 9th St. NW 218-863-8496
HHW Facility: 1115 N. Tower Rd. 218-736-2161
New York Mills: Niemela Repair & Towing 559 E Centennial 84 Dr.
Battle Lake Cenex Station 36879 Hwy 210 W. 218-864-5574

Responding to Used Oil Spills:
All used oil spills must be cleaned up immediately. Manage contaminated cleanup materials as a used oil-related waste. Do not apply used oil-contaminated soil or debris to the land. Immediately report all used oil spills of five gallons or more to the Minnesota Duty Officer at 651-649-5451 or 800-422-0798.
Source: MPCA guide to “Used Oil and Related Wastes”

East Side Oil Companies recycle used motor oil, filters, antifreezes and spent sorbents.
www.eastsideoilcompanies.com 320-252-9711 or 888-252-6983

Changing your oil: An earth-friendly guide for do-it-yourselfers

Download this document

Was this page helpful for you? Yes No